Skip to content
Contact us

Use of Music in Education

Do you need a licence for using music in education?

If music is played in public, in the background or streamed, you always need licence to use it. However, in the case of education, the licence may be included in a contract made by an educational establishment or a municipality, or the use of music may be covered by education exemption.

Education exemption is a clause in copyright law that allows music to be played in public in the context of education, in a classroom. To put it briefly, music can be used, i.e. listened to and performed (played, sung), without the need for a separate music licence.

Education exemption does not cover, for example, events organised by the school that are open to an audience. Additionally, education exemption does not apply to teaching with an intention for profit. There are also differences in licensing requirements between municipal and private education.

Give us feedback!

Feedback from users is important when we develop our web services. Let us know your experiences of our service!