Teosto is a non-profit organisation that strives to enable the creation and use of music as a profession.
We manage the copyrights of music authors and promote music creation in Finland. Our members and board of directors, which consists of representatives of our member organisations, have the highest decision-making power in Teosto.
At the general meeting, our highest decision-making body, Teosto voting members decide on policies and appoint a board of directors. We have over 900 voting members, each with one vote. The meeting is held twice a year.
The board of directors represents Teosto, leads activities to promote music in our networks, and is responsible for our finances, for naming a CEO, and for managing our operations. The board includes the CEO and five members elected from among our member organisations.
Risto Salminen has been Teosto CEO since 2018. The CEO directs Teosto’s daily activities, following the instructions and stipulations of the board of directors. A management team supports the CEO in planning and leadership operations.
The Teosto office provides client services. We manage payments, update our information systems, and carry out legal, marketing, administrative, communications, and day-to-day human resource tasks on behalf of our members. Over seventy people work in these positions.
- We work actively within the networks of copyright organisations and the creative industry in Finland and abroad.
- We take part in the advocacy activities of the Creators and entrepreneurs of the creative industry -association (Luovat ry) in Finland, run by creative industry leaders and business owners.
- Many issues are finalised in Teosto’s work groups and committees, where we cooperate with our member organisations and other music industry experts.
- Licensing, customer services, and invoicing for the performance of background music has been transferred to GT Musiikkiluvat Oy, a sister company to Teosto and Gramex.
- Licensing of cross-border online rights was transferred in 2019 to Polaris Music Hub, a limited company founded by Teosto with Nordic copyright organisations Koda, a Danish agency, and Tono in Norway.
- Teosto’s international collaborative network includes CISAC, the world’s umbrella organisation for performing rights societies, and GESAC, the European equivalent.
- Our activities are developed on the basis of up-to-date research and market information, both produced by Teosto and obtained from outside sources. Read more about our research.
- For background music, the licensing of performing rights, customer service and invoicing is carried out by Teosto and Gramex’s joint venture GT Musiikkiluvat.
- In 2019, the cross-border licensing of online rights was transferred to the limited company Polaris Music Hub, which was established by Teosto, the Danish Koda and the Norwegian Tono.
- The invoicing and processing of international online music services are carried out by Network of Music Partners A/S, or NMP, on behalf of Teosto.
- The international work database is maintained by ICE, which takes care of the storing and processing of the works’ details for Teosto as well as for many other European copyright societies.
Sustainable operations are at the core of Teosto’s objectives. We manage copyright professionally, efficiently and with respect.