Skip to content
Contact us

Copyright royalties as earned income

If the royalty payments for your music are relatively small or you want a simple model, we recommend working with a tax card. In this case, you might make music for yourself or others, work as a house writer in a publishing company or be retired.

Tax rate

When you become a member, please remember to update your personal tax information on our web service (in the Remunerations section). If you forget to update your tax info, we must follow the guidelines of the Finnish Tax Administration and withhold tax on your distributions at a rate of 60%.

After your first year as a member, we will receive your personal tax rate directly from the Tax Administration at the beginning of each fiscal year. The new tax rates are updated on our web service as of 1 February each year. In January, we use your most recent tax rate for the preceding year, provided by the Tax Administration or updated by you.

Teosto does not deduct pension contributions from copyright royalties.

Revised tax card

You can see your current tax rate in our web service. Please check regularly that the rate is up-to-date.

Do you live abroad permanently?

  • If you have lived abroad for more than three years and you are taxable in another country, please send us a certificate of domicile issued by the local civil registry office.
  • If you have lived abroad for less than three years, you can apply for a Finnish tax at source card and submit the card to Teosto. For more information, please contact the Finnish Tax Administration.

Read more:

Finnish Tax Administration: different types of business and taxation

Give us feedback!

Feedback from users is important when we develop our web services. Let us know your experiences of our service!